On October 14, 2020 the Alzheimer Bulgaria Association held the first “Meet the Expert” webinar with Prof. Dr. Liana Apostolova. She presented the latest results of her research related to early-onset (aka young-onset) Alzheimer’s and the genetic biomarkers for Alzheimer’s disease and other dementing disorders.
Dr. Liana Apostolova is professor of Neurology, Radiology and Genetics at Indiana University Medical School, Indianapolis, USA. Her research focuses on the early symptomatic and pre-symptomatic stages of Alzheimer’s disease. In the interactive discussion that followed when answered participants’ questions from the fields of science and medicine, as well as caregivers’ issues.
Some of the topics covered in the discussion are:
- Current hypothesis regarding the causes of Alzheimer’s disease and related therapies;
- The use of digital tools by people with dementia and their caregivers;
- Research activities during COVID-19 in the US and the challenges of social isolation during COVID-19;
- Genetics of dementia;
- Dementia prevention, interventions and care;
- Clinical Diagnosis and the use of imaging and fluid biomarkers
- Dementia-related personality changes;
- Sex and gender differences in Alzheimer disease dementia;
- Dietary and lifestyle factors and cognitive impairment.
A video recording of the discussion with Prof. Dr. Apostolova can be viewed here: YouTube channel of the Alzheimer Bulgaria Association
Due to the large interest of the audience in this discussion, Alzheimer Bulgaria Association will organize “Meet the Expert” webinar series with Prof. Dr. Apostolova. Stay tunned on our facebook page!